I made this soup when the hub was feeling a bit under the weather – and honestly it was incredibly tasty that this will be the chicken soup recipe that I stick with!
- Get a large soup pot and set it up on the stove-top
- Put 10 chicken legs (bone in/skin on) on the bottom of the pot
- Cut both a yellow onion & a sweet potato (with skin on) in half – put in pot
- Slice up 2 large carrots, 2 stalks of celery & 1 leek (leaves and all) – put in pot
- Dash of S/P, thyme sprig & 3-4 lemongrass leaves
- Fill pot up with water to just cover all meat,veg & spices (around 6-8cups)
- Bring to boil, then cover & let simmer for roughly an hour or so
- Remove chicken from soup (slotted spoon works best) and remove skin (toss) and take meat off the bone
- Return meat & bones back into pot
- Add 1T of apple cider vinegar (brings the calcium out of the chicken bones)
- Simmer for 15min, then remove bones & serve away!!
I swear for homemade chicken soup this is the way to go! I really dislike using sodium based products (ie chicken broth) so making a fresh soup like this was killer!
Original recipe here.Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 6): 307 calories – 13 grams of fat* – 9 carbs – 44 grams of protein * I added in chicken skin since I cooked with it even though I removed it at the end- so I am sure the recipe has less fat