pro: calorie torching classes & blissful vibes of goodness
con: cost, HOWEVER there is a way to practice for free – yes way!
THE BEST hot yoga studio around! I found this gem back in January 2012 and it transformed my body – SWEAR! Prior to Moksha I only attempted regular yoga classes at my gym and never ventured into Bikram. The thought of Bikram scared me – all my friends said they yell at you, the room smells & you have to do strict moves even if you are tired. Well let me tell you…Moksha is nothing like that! It is a peaceful environment, where the teachers only want to help & inspire you, not yell. The studio does not smell AT ALL & you are not only told, but encouraged to listen to your body & rest, adjust or slow down your practice when needed.
Let me review a few aspects of the Moksha studio in NYC…
- Check in was & is still easy breezy…few pages of paperwork are initially filled out & they run you through the lay of the land. The Intro month is $40 for unlimited classes – hello CHEAP! At the initial check in they give you a swipe card to use for future check- ins.
- Mats, practice towels & towels can be rented, however I have my own so no need to use (bought at TJMaxx so affordable!) and water bottles can be borrowed.
- Locker rooms are nice, have to bring your own lock and they do have showers with all in one wash so you can rinse off after you practice – major plus because you get super sweaty!!
- The yoga studio steams…the temperature ranges from 95-100degrees! and boy does it feel good – you detoxify & stretch like never before! They have a few different types of classes – Moksha, Moksha Flow, Hot Yin, Yang Ying, Karma class & community classes – a complete mix of classes everyday at different times.
- The people are beyond amazing! From the very first day to a year later I still get a very warm welcome whenever I attend a class…they truly care about their community and want everyone to be a part of theirs. (example..they held our wedding day Moksha class for all our family & friends at their studio – it was the perfect way to start our day & got us going!)
SO PLEASE go and get your yoga groove on at Moksha Yoga NYC, you will not regret it!