Meatballs & Spaghetti, love a classic – but what I love even more is a twist! So I decided to change up the beef balls & white pasta to turkey & squash! I can imagine my brother now saying to never change a classic & shaking his head…sorry bro!
- Preheat oven to 375degrees
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise & scoop out the guts, season with salt & lay face down on oiled cookie sheet – let cook for ~45minutes
- In skillet heat 1t EVOO, 1 chopped yellow onion & 2 garlic cloves – stir
- Once browned stir in 1.5t fresh oregano – remove & divide onions into 2 bowls
- In the 1st bowl add 2T vegan parm cheese, 4T whole wheat breadcrumbs, 1.3lbs ground turkey (pre-packed container) & S/P
- Mix with hands & form 15balls
- Place meatballs on wired rack to be placed on another cookie sheet and place in oven next to squash
- While squash & balls are cooking – add 1t EVOO to skillet, 3C sliced mushrooms (button, trumpet & shiitake), remaining mixture of onions, 1/4C chicken stock, 2T water & S/P to taste- let simmer for 10 minutes
- During the last minute add a container of spinach (3cups) to skillet, let wilt & remove from flame
To plate take squash & scrape the flesh out with a fork (will be string consistency), place desired meatballs on squash & spoon mushroom stock. Sprinkle with vegan parm cheese.
We had some mushroom marinara in the fridge & my hub used it as well- very tasty! Anywho…enjoy my version of spaghetti & meatballs!
Original recipe link here.Nutritional Info Per Meatball (15 balls): 70 calories – 4 grams of fat – 2 carbs – 8 grams of protein Nutritional Info for sauce (Serves 4): 70 calories – 4 grams of fat – 7 carbs – 3 grams of protein