My hubs best friend has been traveling abroad for some time & was in the city for the night so Jon wanted to give him a semi-homey meal. With that I twirled up nuggets & slaw, or so they thought! Little did they realize that the chicken was baked, the dipping sauce was packed with blackberries & the slaw was bok choy… they practically licked their plates clean!
- Preheat oven to 400degrees
- Either buy strips of chicken or cut up breasts into nuggets
- Grab two bowls – fill one with egg whites(~1/2C) & one with ground cornmeal(~3/4C)
- Dip chicken into egg bowl then cover in cornmeal
- Set chicken on wire rack placed on cookie sheet & put in oven for roughly 20 minutes or until golden (flip if necessary)
- Thinly slice one head of cleaned bok choy – place in large bowl
- In food processor add 3 heads of scallions (ends cut) & 2 handfuls of baby carrots – blend & add to large bowl
- In veggie bowl add: 1/4C rice vinegar, 1T sesame oil, 2t truvia & 3t dijon mustard – toss
- Clean food processor & add 1c rinsed blackberries, 1.5T whole grain mustard & 2t honey – mix & set aside for dipping sauce
I went further then I usually do cause the bf was in town & sprayed a fry pan with cooking oil- I quickly seared the fully baked nuggets on each side for about 1minute to give a more charred appeal.
I have made the cornmeal nuggets before & actually switched it up many times to make cornmeal baked fish sticks & tofu sticks. Both were a success! Overall this is a quick & delicious meal any adult & kid would love – well, assuming about the kids but I am sure my future kids will be asking for seconds!! Enjoy!
Original recipe here.Nutritional Info for Nuggets (Serves 3): 410 calories – 7 grams of fat – 23 carbs – 60 grams of protein Nutritional Info for Dipping Sauce (Serves 3): 35 calories – 1 gram of fat – 8 carbs – <1 gram of protein Nutritional Info for Slaw (Serves 3): 60 calories – 5 grams of fat – 3 carbs – 1 gram of protein