Beer-can chicken! I have always wanted to stick a beer can up a chickens butt – not really. However, a friend mentioned this to me the other day & I was into it. Chicken, beer & butter (vegan of course). What’s not to love about this dinner!
- Preheat oven to 350degrees
- Open a 12oz beer (any kind, I used Modelo) & empty out half in baking tin – then pry open the mouth (beer careful! use can opener or husband)
- Pour 2T melted EarthBalance original, the juice from 1 lemon & stuff sprigs of rosemary in the can – set in pan
- Get a 4lb unfrozen chicken -take out guts, rinse chicken under water, pat dry with paper towels & cut off any excess white fat around the edge of the cavity
- Then mix up the seasoning – Emeril’s Essence – 2.5T of paprika, 2T garlic powder & 1T each of salt, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano & thyme
- Rub 1T of seasoning blend inside bird
- Peel breast skin away from meat – rub 1T of seasoning & juice from 1 lemon
- Pour 2T Earth Balance original all over bird & cover the entire outside with seasoning blend
- Grab disposable baking tin (filled with half the beer), spray beer can with baking oil & stuff chicken on the can – stand in middle of pan
- Bake in oven for ~75minutes or until internal temp is 165degrees (I cooked mine for 90minutes)
Once the bird is done, take out of the oven & let rest – slice up & serve mixed greens with a squeeze of lemon. Mouthwatering good!
* Side note : Since the bird cooks straight up lots of the fat drain off AND the goodness in the beer doesn’t even count for calories..it stays in the can & just makes the meat ever so juicy! Healthier bird = healthier me. Always a plus in my book!
Original recipe here !Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 4): 500 calories – 29 grams of fat – 7 carbs – 50 grams of protein