We take care of ourselves by going to the gym, eating healthy & steering clear of bad habits such as smoking or drinking. So why don’t we take the time to care for our largest organ? Yep, you guessed it – our skin! It is the largest organ on our body!
I know I know…why am I being that girl who acts like your mom? Well, it has come to my attention that some people do not go to a dermatologist regularly for an annual screening of moles & skin cancer! Not going to name names but a few of my friends & family members just told me they have never gotten one before, like EVER!*
It is a quick scan of your body by a dermatologist. Typically painless, however if the doc does find a suspicious mole or skin patch they might want to investigate. Scary I know, but guess what? It is for you own good! This not only helps you live longer, but helps you detect anything out of the ordinary at hopefully the early stages!
If you don’t have time to make an appointment or head to your dermatologist please try doing the scan yourself & follow the ABCDE rules of thumb. If a mole displays any of the signs listed below, I would suggest to call your derm & schedule an appointment!
- Asymmetry – One half of the mole does not match the other half
- Border – The border or edges of the mole are ragged, blurred, or irregular
- Color – The mole has different colors or it has shades of tan, brown, black, blue, white, or red
- Diameter – The diameter of the mole is larger than the eraser of a pencil
- Evolving – The mole appears different from others and/or changing in size, color, shape
Summer is coming quicker than ever & we are all going to be basking in the sun. So please be at least aware of your skin. I want each & every one of you to live a long sparkly life!
P.S. For those of you that don’t get the picture – It is Kristen Wiig portraying “tan mom” on SNL. A freaking classic! Watch here.
* To my family member & friend – you know who you are & you better be making those derm appointments!