Okay, so my hub was away a bit ago & I wanted to bake him a cake for his arrival home (I know, I know I am such a good wife). Let me be honest – I wanted to keep my hands busy while on the cleanse, didn’t want to leave our apartment & wanted to give the hub a warm welcome home. So what to do? Find something to bake with all ingredients in my kitchen & viola – the crazy cake!
I guess it was invented during The Great Depression, when eggs, milk & butter were hard to come by. I changed the original around a bit & used whole wheat flour & EVOO…not really The Great Depression cake anymore, but a twist to it at least.
- Preheat oven to 350degrees & grease 8″ square pan with cooking oil spray
- In the greased pan put 1.5C whole wheat flour, 1/2C sugar, 1t baking soda & 1/2t salt (I used Himalayan pink salt) – mix
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – 2 smaller & 1 larger
- Pour 1t white vinegar in the first small divot, 1.5t vanilla extract in the next small divot & 5T EVOO in the large depression
- Pour 1C water over entire batter & mix til smooth
- Bake in oven for 30-35minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (if the toothpick comes out clean you are good to go!)
Again, the original recipe called for icing but I opted to sprinkle the cake with a bit of powdered sugar, finger licking good! Well, I actually never tasted it since I was on my cleanse. However my hub did (he ate half in the first sitting!) & he did lick his fingers, so it must have been good!
Enjoy & if not blame my hub!Nutritional Info Per Slice (Serves 8 Slices): 200 calories – 9 grams of fat – 29 carbs – 3 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Crazy Cake Ingredient List:
One 9″ pan
- 1.5C whole wheat flour
- 1/2C sugar
- 1t baking soda
- 1/2t Himalayan salt
- 1.5t vanilla extract
- 1t white vinegar
- 5T EVOO
- Powdered sugar
Original recipe here.