Did this picture sell you? Cause guess what…this is dairy free! Yep, you read that right – DAIRY FREE!
The back story to this amaze meal is as follows…The hubs & I heard about Boston Organics. Fresh, organic & cheap food delivery that comes to your door once a week. To begin, you pick what type of bin you want (fruits mix, veg mix or both), then tell them your fruit or veg “do not wants” & you can add on additional items each week (i.e. fresh eggs, bread, etc)! This past Tuesday was our first of many deliveries – cantaloupe, peaches, zucchini, potatoes, broccoli & spearmint and more.
So, what to whip up when you have all this produce at your fingertips? This dinner was inspired by the potatoes! Not only is this packed with ‘cheesy-like’ flavor, but it is full of healthy ingredients! So don’t get scared of all the steps – it is SO worth it and now that I made it once it’s going to be quick to make next time!
Lets cut the cheese (or not…hehe)…
- Peel & dice one russet potato, 1C carrots & 1/2C onion – add to stove top pan, cover with 2C water, place lid on & simmer for 20minutes
- Turn the heat off after 20minutes & add: 1/2C Earth Balance buttery spread, 1/2C nutritional yeast, 1/2t turmeric & 1t salt – stir until all is melted & combined
- Pour the above mix into your blender, blend until creamy (~ 1minute) & scrape down the sides if needed
- Add 3T light coconut milk (Do not get confused with coconut water!) & 3 turns of fresh black pepper – blend again for 15seconds & set aside
Now on to the potatoes…
- Preheat oven to 350degrees
- Slice 4C potatoes thinly (<1/4in thick) & set aside
- Heat 3T Earth Balance buttery spread in a skillet, add 1 diced onion, 1/3C fresh parsley & 4 minced garlic cloves – sauté for 5minutes
- After 5minutes add 1/2C soy milk creamer, 1T rice flour & 1t salt – stir until thick (~ 2minutes), remove from heat & set aside
- Slice up 1/2 bunch of chard – set aside
- Pour a small amount of ‘cheese’ sauce on the bottom of a 8×10 baking pan (enough to coat and make sure potatoes don’t stick), layer with a third of the sliced potatoes & half of the chard
- Next, add a third of remaining ‘cheese’ sauce, another third of the sliced potatoes & the other half of the chard
- Lastly, layer another third of the ‘cheese’ sauce, the last of your potatoes & the remaining third of the cheese sauce
- Evenly distribute the onion/garlic/parsley mixture over everything
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 60minutes
Let this dish rest for 10-15minutes before serving or else it will be runny. But hey, still tasty if you can’t resist the wait – just serve in bowls!
Not only is this packed with ‘cheesy-like’ flavor, but it is full of healthy ingredients! This dish will surely be made at my family holidays – Christmas, Thanksgiving & Easter get ready for a makeover!Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 4): 550 calories – 34 grams of fat – 56 carbs – 11 grams of protein
Ingredient List for Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes:
- 1 russet potato
- 4-6 potatoes
- 1 bunch of chard
- 1C chopped carrots
- 1.25 yellow onion
- 1/3C of parsley
- 1T rice flour
- 1/2C nutritional yeast
- 1/2C unsweetened soy milk creamer
- 3T coconut milk light (Coconut milk, not water!)
- 1/2t turmeric
- Earth Balance buttery spread
- Minced garlic
* the italicized ingredients should be basics in your fridge
Click here for original recipe.