I’m backkkkkk & I am already craving a Greek salad! The kalamata olives, capers & tomatoes in Santorini were literally to die for! They were so fresh that they were sold by local farmers throughout the town for tourists to snag up and munch on – yes, I bought some & no leftovers!
So why not whip up this simple recipe that is packed with Greek flavor for lunch!?
The ‘feta cheese’ I made from tofu must be prepped the DAY BEFORE. However, it can be stored for up to 2weeks in the brine and in the refrigerator. Of course, you can always just use real feta cheese but I suggest trying my healthier tofu version!
- Drain & cut 1 packet of extra firm tofu in cubes – set aside
- In a medium saucepan add: 2C water, juice of 2 lemons, 1T sea salt, 2T nutritional yeast, 2t dried basil, 2t dried oregano & cubed tofu
- Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer for 30minutes uncovered
- Place tofu & brine (liquid portion) in bowl, let cool, cover & store in fridge for 24hrs (minimum)
When the ‘feta cheese’ is ready begin prep of the salad…
- Coarsely chop 1 head of romaine & add to a large bowl
- Dice up & add to large bowl: 2 tomatoes, 1 small green pepper, 1 small red onion & 2 peeled cucumbers
- Measure out 1/2C pitted Kalamata olives, slice in half & add to same bowl
- Top with 2T drained capers, juice from 1 lemon, 1T EVOO & S/P to taste – mix with tongs
You can either mix in drained ‘feta’ chunks or serve salad & top with the drained ‘feta’ – I chose the latter as I wanted to portion out the ‘feta cheese’ chunks.
Not going to lie, this was a pretty stellar salad that the hub & I enjoyed for lunch today & would be a hit at any summer BBQ or July 4th celebration!Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 4): 215 calories – 12 grams of fat – 14 carbs – 12 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Ingredient List for Greek Salad with ‘Feta Cheese’:
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 3 lemons
- 1 head of romaine
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 2 medium cucumber
- 1/2C pitted kalamata olives
- 2T capers
- 2T nutritional yeast
- EVOO, dried basil, dried oregano & S/P
Original tofu feta recipe here.