One thing that peeved me off in Greece was that no place had dairy-free baklava! Well, here I am a month later & still craving this tasty treat! So, what better way to satisfy a craving then to make it my own way! I decided to turn the typical butter-fest baklava into a healthy version – dehydrated filo squares with a raw middle – YUM (I swear it was yummy)!
Let’s begin with the filling…
- In a food processor blend: 1C shelled pistachios, 6 pitted medjool dates, 2T dried cranberries, 1C large flake coconut, 1/4t ground cinnamon & 1/4t ground cardamon – pulse until chopped (you want it chunky, not creamy)
- Add 2T honey & pulse a few more times – remove & set aside
If you have a dehydrator then you can break it out to make filo squares. If not, just buy or bake a dozen crackers/cookies. I’m envisioning these cardamon crackers! If you want to tackle the dehydrator filo square version, the instructions are at the end.
To assemble, drizzle honey on a plate, lay down a filo cracker (or whatever you decide to use) & then add 1/3 pistachio mixture. Continue with 2 more layers & top with another filo cracker.
To make this all the more mouth watering make sure to drizzle honey on top & add a scoop of pistachio ice cream (I made the ice cream in the picture, still testing it out so recipe to come later).Nutritional Info Per Serving for Pistachio Mixture (Serves 4): 400 calories – 25 grams of fat – 40 carbs – 9 grams of protein
Click below for dehydrator instructions, ingredient list & original recipe…
Dehydrator Filo Cracker Instructions:
- In a food processor blend: 1 apple, 1/2C almond meal, 1t honey, 1/4t ground cardamon & a pinch of salt until smooth
- Spread out thinly on a lined dehydrator sheet into a square – dry at 150degrees for 2hours (or until sticky)
- After 2hours (or sticky) remove sheet & cut square into 9 equal parts
- Put back in dehydrater for 6-8hours (or until very crispy)
- Remove & store in an air-tight container
Ingredient List for Pistachio Baklava:
- 1C pistachios
- 6 dates (medjool is the best but if you can not find regular is oki doki)
- 2T dried cranberries
- 1C large flake coconut
- 2T honey
- 1/4t ground cardamon
- 1/4t ground cinnamon
If you are dehydrating then continue with the below list…
- 1 apple
- 1/2C almond meal
- 1t honey
- 1/4 ground cardamon
Click here for original recipe.