Have I ever mentioned how I love my hometown?!?! I swear, I may even do a post someday about how awesome Erie, Pennsylvania is! We have four beautiful seasons, 17 miles of beautiful beaches, an amusement park & slopes to hit during the winter – these are just a few of the countless activities to do in my hometown.
Anywho…the hub & I just spent a long weekend in Erie. Our time was packed full of family fun, just the way we like it! Starting off with babysitting baby girl (my beautiful niece), followed by two full days sailing on the bay, a pool day at the country club & we even had two family BBQs (board games included)! It was a blast!
For one of the BBQ’s, my hub and I decided to treat the fam & whip up a tasty meal. The hub & I were thinking of an aluminum foil grilled white fish – it was our lucky day, because my step-dad got up bright & early that morning to go fishing! He walked through that door with fresh Lake Erie walleye, cleaned & ready to be grilled!
I know this fish may not be local & even if it is local it may be tough to find – but you can easily swap out the walleye for any white fish of your liking!
Continue reading for recipes, nutritional info & ingredient list…
Lake Erie Walleye Recipe (Serves 4):
- In a large bowl (or ziploc bag) add in: 1/2C diced mango, 1C chopped white onion & 1/4C cilantro leaves
- In the same bowl/ziploc bag mix in 3T orange juice, 3T fresh lime juice, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/4C EVOO, 1t oregano & a dash of chili pepper – stir
- Add the four Lake Erie walleye fillets to the marinade created in steps 1-2 & chill in the fridge for at least an hour
- Once the fish are ready, wrap each fillet in aluminum foil – place fish in foil, roll sides of foil up, add marinade, roll foil completely up so that fish and marinade is enclosed
- Grill on medium high for 7-10minutes or until fully cooked – open up foil & peek in if you need too!
_ _ _
Mango Salsa Recipe (Serves 4):
- Grab a large bowl & add in: 1 pitted/diced mango, 4 diced tomatos, 1/2 chopped cucumber, 1/4C red onion & 2 seeded/minced jalapeño peppers (add more/less depending on your spice tolerance)
- Then blend in 1/2C chopped cilantro, 2T fresh lime juice, 3 cloves minced garlic, 3T EVOO & 1t sea salt – gently stir
Once finished store in fridge to chill – when ready to serve, spoon a hefty portion on top of the steaming fish! The salsa can be stored for up to a week, so if you have leftovers serve on salads or just with chips!Nutritional Info for Mango Salsa (Serves 4): 160 calories – 11 grams of fat – 16 carbs – 2 grams of protein
_ _ _
Ingredient List for Grilled Lake Erie Walleye in Foil with Mango Salsa:
- 1lb of Lake Erie walleye (or any white fish)
- 2 mangos
- 4 medium sized tomato
- 1 white onion
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 large bundle cilantro (or 2 small)
- 3T orange juice
- 5 limes
- Minced garlic, EVOO, oregano, chili pepper & sea salt