Another successful dish was whipped up from the fresh fruit we picked at Sweet Berry Farms! This past weekend I made the ever so delicious peach salsa from the peaches we snagged from the farm. Last night I indulged & made a blueberry tart from the fresh berries we picked, yummy!
I decided to pair these juicy berries with a gluten-free crust made from scratch, however any crust would work for this dish. If you wish to use my recipe for the crust, then click the continue reading button further down.
On to the recipe for the filling…
- In a medium saucepan bring 1/4C water & 1.5C fresh blueberries to a boil – reduce heat & stir til berries begin to breakdown (~3-4minutes)
- Mix 2T cornstarch & 2T water in a side bowl – add to saucepan & stir
- Add in 2/3C sugar, 3T fresh lemon juice, 2t lemon zest & 1/4t salt – bring to boil, reduce heat & let simmer for 1minute while stirring
- Remove from heat & stir in 3.5C fresh blueberries
- Immediately pour warm mixture over cooled crust (recipe for my gluten-free version below) & smooth with spatula
- Scatter 1C fresh blueberries on top & press down to help them adhere
Refrigerate & when ready to serve make sure to garnish the top with some fresh lemon zest! As well, I paired this juicy blueberry tart with a large scoop of soy vanilla ice cream!
The dish was a tad messy to serve (scooped it up with a spoon), but I swear it was worth every bite!Nutritional Info Per Serving (8 slices): 315 calories – 18 grams of fat – 37 carbs – 7.5 grams of protein
Continue reading for the ingredient list & gluten free pie crust recipe…
Recipe for Gluten Free Tart Crust:
- Place 2C almond flour & 1/2 salt in a food processor – pulse briefly
- Add in 2T melted coconut oil & 1 egg -blend until ball forms
- Press dough onto bottom of pie dish (make sure to cover entire bottom & try to cover sides if possible)
- Put in freezer for 15minutes or until firm, remove & prick all over the bottom of the dough with a fork
- Place in a preheated 350degree oven for 25minutes
- Remove & let cool completely
Ingredient List for Open Faced Blueberry Pie (includes gluten-free crust ingredients):
- 6C fresh blueberries
- 3 lemons
- 2C almond flour
- 2/3C sugar
- 1 egg
- 2T coconut oil
- 2T cornstarch
- Basic Pantry: salt
Original recipe here.