Okay, before I get into this recipe I want to say, go visit Montreal! UM beautiful! We were about an hour north of the city on a beautiful lake…boating, jacuzzi, board games, grilling & friends – what more could you want! It was around a 6hour drive from Boston – super simple, but by the time we got home I wanted to veg out on the couch. The hub went straight to bed cause he was feeling sick, so clearly the idea of the grocery store was not in the cards! With half a watermelon in the fridge, I decided to whip up a Meatless Monday dish on Sunday!
I got my inspiration to grill watermelon from the grilled shrimp salad I posted last week. Boy oh boy how I love grilling anything! Hope you enjoy this simple & light salad!
- Prepare & store tofu ‘feta’ (find recipe here) or buy regular feta cheese (I made the tofu ‘feta’ & cut the fridge time to 2hours)
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/2C apple cider vinegar & 2T honey*
- Slice 1 small red onion very thinly, place in vinegar bowl & toss – refrigerate for at least 20minutes (I stored mine for 3hours – OMG good!)
- Cut 2 pieces of watermelon (1inch think each), remove rind & chop into bite size chunks
- Grill watermelon on high for roughly 3minutes on each side or until grill marks appear
To assemble, place grilled watermelon on a large plate, top 1/2C red onion (no juice), 1/4C crumbled tofu ‘feta’ & a sprinkle of chopped cilantro – then drizzle 2T of the juice from the red onion mix.
*We just got homemade honey from our friend – his pops makes it in Flora, Indiana! Literally, he has his own beehives & tends to them! This honey is so pure & smooth, can’t wait to get more from him!Nutritional Info Per Salad: 200 calories – 2 grams of fat – 44 carbs – 9 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Ingredient list for Grilled Watermelon Salad:
- 2 one inch thick pieces of watermelon
- 1 small purple onion
- feta cheese or tofu ‘feta’ ingredients (found here)
- 1T fresh cilantro
- Basic Pantry: apple cider vinegar, honey
Original recipe here.