I had dear friends visit me in Beantown this past weekend – so fun! We saw a few sights, ate (and ate again) & just caught up…it was a great time! Needless to say, staying up til the wee hours with my gals led me to feeling a tad under-the-weather come Monday.
What better way to feel better then a veggie soup – simple & full of flavor!
- Grab a large pot & add 1T EVOO over medium heat
- Dice up 1 yellow onion, 2 carrots & 2 stalks of celery – toss in pot, let soften for 5minutes
- Cut both ends of 2 leeks, cut lengthwise & cut 1/2inch slices – add to pot with 1t minced garlic & cook til tender (~2minutes)
- Add one peeled/diced potato, 6C vegetable broth & 2 bay leaves – bring to boil
- Stir in half a head of thinly sliced cabbage, 1/4t salt & 1/4t pepper
- Bring to boil then reduce heat & cover – let simmer for 20minutes
- Remove from heat, add 1T free thyme & 2t white vinegar
Since this dish is so light either serve as a starter (kinda like a salad with all the veg) or serve with a heavy grain, enjoy!Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 4): 90 calories – <1 gram of fat – 20 carbs – 2.6 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Ingredient List for Cabbage-Vegetable Soup:
- Half a head of cabbage
- 2 leeks
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large potato or 4 baby potatoes
- 6C low sodium vegetable broth
- 1T fresh thyme
- Basic Pantry: EVOO, minced garlic, white vinegar, 2 bay leaves & S/P
Original recipe here.