I whipped this meal up one night while the hub was away last week & boy oh boy was it tasty! First off, I love beets & fennel – so I was already pumped up for this meatless Monday dish! However, I added the burst of flavor with all the citrus fruits & it really took this salad to the next level!
Lets get roasting…
- Preheat oven to 400degrees & line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Prepare 1/2C quinoa per package directions – set aside
- Clean 4 beets & trim stalks off the fennel (toss) – dice up the beets & fennel heads to bite size pieces (~1inch cubes)
- Place beets/fennel on a lined cookie sheet, drizzle EVOO & toss with salt/pepper – bake for 45minutes or until beets are tender
- While baking, whisk together 1 minced shallot, 1/8C EVOO, 2T fresh lime juice, 2T fresh lemon juice, 1.5T orange juice & 1t dijon mustard
Remove baked veggies from oven, combine with quinoa in a large bowl & drizzle citrus vinaigrette on it to taste! I only used about a fourth of the dressing & saved the remainder for a salad the following day.
Hope you enjoy!Nutritional Info Per Serving wo Dressing (Serves 2): 260 calories – 2 grams of fat – 53 carbs – 9 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Ingredient List for Roasted Fennel & Beet Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 4 beets (I used 2 red/2 yellow)
- 2 heads of fennel
- 1 shallot
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1.5T orange juice
- 1/2C uncooked quinoa
- Basic Pantry: parchment paper, EVOO, dijon mustard & S/P
Click here for original recipe from dishingupthedirt.com .