Oh Thanksgiving….you are only a day away! How time flies! Before we know it December is passed & hello to the nice lil’ 5 pounds we packed on from holiday indulgences. I know, I know…I can’t stay away from my mom’s pie either!
Well hopefully this dish will keep away the extra baggage & still keep your taste buds going!
Lets get stuffed…
- Preheat oven to 350degrees & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Slice an eggplant crosswise (1/2inch slices), place on prepared cookie sheet & spray with cooking oil – bake for 20minutes then dice up & place in large bowl
- Dice up 6 slices of bread, place on prepared cookie sheet & spray with cooking oil – place in oven for 10minutes then set in large bowl (you can do this 10minutes in while eggplant is baking)
While the eggplant & bread are baking continue with the following steps…
- Heat a large pan on the stove top with 2T EVOO & add in 1 diced onion, 1 peeled/diced sweet potato & 2 stalks of diced celery – season with S/P
- After 5minutes add in 8 diced crimini mushrooms, cook for 5minutes then flavor with 1 minced garlic clove & 1/8t chili flakes
- Finally, add in 1/2C sliced sun-dried tomatoes & 1/2C veggie stock
- Pour contents into the large bowl with diced eggplant & toasted bread
- Mix all together in bowl (add more veggie broth if needed – I added 1/4C extra) then spray a 13×9 pan with cooking oil & place stuffing into prepared pan
Bake for 20minutes & let cool for 5-10minutes after. The hub & I had this for two nights in a row & boy oh boy was it yummy! Such a great alternative to typical fatty stuffing!Nutritional Info Per Serving (Serves 8): 110 calories – 1 gram of fat – 22 carbs – 4 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…
Eggplant & Sweet Potato Stuffing:
- 1 eggplant
- 6 pieces of Ezekiel bread
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 crimini mushrooms
- 1/2C sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- Basic Pantry: minced garlic, veggie stock, chili flakes & S/P
Find original recipe here.