Happy St. Patty’s Day everyone – enjoy a green beer & a slice of avocado cake! Rub your eyes & read it again – avocado cake. When I found this recipe I had to indulge, it was perfect timing to add a lil green to my diet with the holiday & I had some ripe avocados just shy of being too soft.
- Preheat oven to 350degrees
- In a large bowl mix: 3C all purpose flour, 6T unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2t salt, 2t baking powder, 2t baking soda – blend
- In another bowl combine: 1/4C veggie oil, 1 mashed ripe avocado, 2C water, 2T white vinegar & 2t vanilla extract – stir & then add 2C sugar
- Combine wet mixture into dry & blend until smooth
- Spray cooking oil on 2 round 9″ inch pans & fill batter equally in both baking dishes
- Bake for 30minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (mine baked for 25min)
- Let cakes cool in pan for 5minutes, then turnout cakes on wire rack to fully cool
While baking make the icing…
- Peel & pit 2 ripe avocados – make sure to cut away any brown spots & discard
- Place avocado meat in the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk head if you have (I do not & just used my food processor)
- Add 2t of fresh squeezed lemon juice & begin mixing – then add 1/2t vanilla extract & sift in 1/3C powdered sugar **
- Once your cakes are cooled place one on your serving dish & begin icing the top – then layer with second cake & keep on icing till you are out
** The recipe calls to sift in 4C of powdered sugar (whoa) so beef it up with as much powdered sugar as you like. I taste checked mine & liked only a slightly sweetened avocado – so I opted out of adding in any more. With that said, this bad boy was awesome – so moist & flavorful. The meaty texture of the avocado really gives some oomph to this cake & icing. Check it out & get baking!
Put this cake in fridge if you want to save – and not to worry the icing won’t turn brown, the addition of lemon saved us from that. I actually sliced ours up, put in tupperware & in the freezer – good way to save single servings of dessert & just a quick defrost!
Side note: this will be a must have dessert for a themed Mexican fiesta dinner party!
Props to the original recipe here !
Nutritional Info Per Slice with Icing (Serves 10 Slices): 330 calories – 13.5 grams of fat – 51 carbs – 5 grams of protein