I decided to end our mini vacation with a bang – vegan carrot cake for the family! First off, both my brother & dad cringe at the word vegan. So I had to trip them up, this cake sure had them both at hello and kept my attention all the way until I finished my third slice (yes 3 slices, sigh of delight)!
Honestly this cake was SO moist, and all the flavors blended perfectly – the ginger, maple syrup & the cardamon brought this dish together…my mouth is watering while thinking about it again, enough said. YUM!
- Preheat oven to 350degrees
- In a large bowl combine: 2C whole wheat flour, 1t baking soda, 1.5t baking powder, 2t ground cinnamon, 1t ground cardamon & 1/2t salt – stir
- After stirring add in: 1/2C Earth Balance Original natural buttery spread, 1.5C brown sugar, 1C plain applesauce, 1t minced ginger, 1/2C fresh OJ & 1/2C water
- Stir until all is mixed thoroughly, then fold in 2C shredded carrots
- Spray two 9″ pans with cooking oil & split batter – bake for 25-45minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (mine took 25)
While cakes are cooling make the TWO types of icing…
- In a small bowl blend: 1t minced ginger, 1/2C pureed pineapple & 1.5C powdered sugar – beat until smooth consistency
- In another bowl blend: 1/4C maple syrup & 1C powdered sugar – beat until smooth
To serve place the first layer of the cake on a serving dish, spread pineapple ginger filling on top. Then layer with second cake & spread maple glaze on top. Sprinkle with shredded carrots & slice up to serve!
P.S. I also tricked both my pops & bro to think my tofu stuffed shells were actually ricotta stuffed shells – they bought it! So get on it, switch it up & try it out!!Nutritional Info Per Slice (Makes 12 Slices): 390 calories – 8 grams of fat – 79 carbs – 4 grams of protein…and a slice is worth every calorie!
For ingredient list & original recipe continue reading…