Okay….so today is the BIG Spartan Race – I am downright scared! We got an email this week saying the race will take place all throughout Citi Field AND there will be 25 obstacles – yikes!
So to gear up for the big day I decided to make one hearty meal last night that was still light but would give us the energy that we needed to make it through today.
- Preheat oven to 450degrees & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Thinly slice your eggplant vertically, lay on baking sheets – spray with cooking oil, sprinkle with S/P & place in oven for 15minutes
- In a food processor (or blender) add: 1 package Nasoya Lite Firm Tofu, 2T EVOO, 1T nutritional yeast, 1t minced garlic, 1t salt, 1/2C fresh basil & 3C fresh spinach leaves – blend until smooth consistency & set aside (yes, same mix as my Tofu Stuffed Shells)
- Slice up 12 button mushrooms & add to a pre greased stovetop pan- toss until soft & set in side bowl
- In the same pan add 1 sliced red pepper – toss until soft & set in a new side bowl
- In the same pan add: 1lb ground turkey, 1/2 a diced yellow onion, 1t minced garlic & 1T water – brown
Now let’s begin to layer this lasagna up…
- Grab a large baking pan & cover bottom with marinara (I just used Newman’s Organic).
- Then layer with 4-6 eggplant slices, top with the turkey mixture & add a bit more marinara on top
- Layer with dollops of the tofu mixture & use a spatula to smooth it out
- Now layer with the mushrooms & peppers
- Top with 4-6 more eggplant slices, cover with your remaining marinara & sprinkle on nutritional yeast, salt & pepper
Lower your oven temp to 350degrees if you are going to bake right away & cook for 30-40minutes. However, I made mine earlier in the day – covered with aluminum foil, set in the fridge & took on later on in the night to bake – easy as that!
Okay off to the race I go! Hopefully reporting back tomorrow with zero injuries & only fond memories! I will try to take some pics & post on my twitter account – check me out at @sparkldsidewalk!!Nutritional Info Per Piece (Serves 8 Pieces): 200 calories – 11 grams of fat – 25 carbs – 21 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list…