I know, I know a mushroom burger, it sounds so not fun! Especially with Memorial Day this weekend & all the summer parties to come! But hey, why not keep it light with the food when you are pumping your self full of tasty beverages this holiday weekend! Munch on this healthy alternative – it is a quick & simple recipe that will surely surprise any guest!
First prepare your grill for high & while waiting for it to heat up begin fixing the toppings…
- Grab a skillet, add 1/4C water over medium heat then add 4C baby spinach & place lid on top – let spinach wilt & remove/set aside
- Dice 4 sun-dried tomatoes (in oil) & mix with 4T nayonaise light – set aside
- Thickly slice 1 red onion – set aside
- With a damp towel clean off 4 portobello mushrooms, remove stem & brush with the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar – set aside
Now that we have all the prep done lets get on to the grill…
- Place the mushroom caps on the grill (top side down first) & the onion slices, both for 4-5minutes on each side
- If you like your buns crispy throw those on the grill around the 3minute mark, watch for those because they can burn quickly!
Place the bun on the plate, spread the nayonaise mixture on the bottom,then layer with the mushroom cap, wilted spinach, a few sun-dried tomatoes & finally the grilled onion. Serve right away!Nutritional Info Per Burger with bun & all the toppings (Serves 4): 300 calories – 8 grams of fat – 49 carbs – 13 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…