The hub & I were just in Nantucket for Labor day this year – we stayed at the ever so magnificent Cliffside Beach Club. We couldn’t ask for a better hotel – it was right on the beach, had superior service & the hotel was super accommodating with the babe! One of our favorite dishes at the hotel restaurant was the tomato & bread salad. All of the ingredients were from locals on the island – everything was so fresh! However, my hub came up with the twist of adding white truffle olive oil to it & boy oh boy it gets our tastebuds swooning.
And yes, you read above correctly – white truffle olive oil! When I was the new gal on the block in Boston I came across Boston Olive Oil Company on Newbury Street – quickly became a regular. They have countless flavors of balsamics & olive oils – best part, they let you taste every kind your heart desires (note to self, go hungry!).
Anywho, I know tomato season is coming to an end…but this recipe doesn’t have to! The white truffle olive oil really gives a fall vibe to the dish!
On to the recipe (serves 2):
- Preheat your oven to 400degrees
- Dice up your bread ~1inch cubes: place on cooling rack or a cookie sheet & stick in oven til they turn golden brown. Remove & set aside
- Slice your large tomato horizontally to get 2 thick cuts – place each slice on a plate
- Dice up the remainder of your large tomato & a second smaller tomato – add to a large bowl
- Sliver about 10 pitted green olives, and rip up a handful of fresh mint – add to large bowl
- Add the crisped bread to the large bowl & toss with 1T truffle infused olive oil, 1T champagne vinegar & S/P to taste
Really mix all of the flavors together well & let it sit out for about 10minutes. Spoon the mixture on to the plated tomato slices & serve!
Continue reading for ingredient list…