Happy soon-to-be Valentines Day!!!
With the happy holiday right around the corner & a long weekend ahead the hub & I have decided to plan a last minute trip to Scottsdale, Arizona – helllooooo fun in the sun! Not sure what we are planning on doing but don’t you fret, I will have a great post about it coming up soon.
Anywho, with our flight leaving on valentines day I am not going to be able to whip up a four course meal like last vday (it was amazing to say the least). This time around I am treating him to a nostalgic gift – homemade poptarts! I mean, the hub is partial to this tasty treat from back in the day, but who doesn’t love a pastry that is filled with strawberry & chocolate!!!
…and with that obvious answer being no one, lets get baking!
- Preheat your over to 350degrees & line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a small bowl whisk together 1 egg yolk & 1t water – set aside
- Roll out prepared pie crust til it is very thin, then cut into rectangles (~2.5×3.5)
- Keep re-rolling the dough when needed & continue to make rectangles till all the pastry dough is used up (you should end up with 8 cutouts)
- Take 4 of them – spread 1T of almond chocolate spread & 1T strawberry jam (make sure to leave a 1/4inch border for sealing)
- Grab 2 strawberries, slice them & then shape them into hearts with a knife – set aside
- Take the remaining half of the pastry cutouts, place a strawberry heart in the center & cut around it (to make a heart in the dough)
- Place the dough with the cutout on to the layered bottom half – set heart shaped strawberry in the cut out
- Seal the edges with a fork, brush with the egg wash & sprinkle generously with sugar
- Bake for 12-15minutes or until golden brown
Let cool & then treat your loved ones to this delicious valentines day surprise!
*Note to self, I am never buying store bought poptarts – these were so simple!Nutritional Info Per Poptart (Makes 4): 235 calories – 14 grams of fat – 25 carbs – 2 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list & original recipe…