Ahhhh my ‘ricotta’ -I made my stuffed shells while I was home a few months back & had my family cringing when I told them they just ate tofu! Yep, unlike me & the hub my family typically steers clear of soy (or anything similar). However, this lovely blend of tofu, spinach & spices really trips people up because it is packed with so much flavor & it has the same consistency of a soft cheese.
With this meal you still get the warm feeling that you are having a hearty meal with cheese & eggplant – but in actuality you are keeping it clean (arteries & all)! So whether you pair the ‘ricotta’ with lasagna, stuffed shells or come up with a concoction of your own, make sure to try it out! It will surely surprise your taste buds!
On to my meatless monday dinner…
- Preheat oven to 375 & line a baking sheet
- Slice an eggplant lengthwise (~1/2inch thick), spray both sides with cooking oil, place on prepared sheet & grind some salt/pepper on top
- Bake for 20minutes – flip eggplant at the 10 minute mark
- In a blender add 1 drained package of Lite Firm Nasoya tofu, a 10oz package of defrosted spinach, 1/2C fresh basil, 2T EVOO, 1T nutritional yeast, 1.5t salt, 1t oregano, 1t parsley & 2 cloves minced garlic – blend
- Remove eggplant after 20minutes, drop 1-2T of ‘ricotta tofu’ at the larger end of the eggplant – roll & line up in baking dish (repeat til eggplant is gone)
- Cover all eggplant rolls with marinara (~1C )
- Bake in oven for 15minutes
To serve – remove from pan, top with fresh basil & a salad on the side! Enjoy!Nutritional Info Per Roll (Makes 12): 80 calories – 4.5 grams of fat – 5 carbs – 5 grams of protein
Continue reading for ingredient list…